Semolina Dessert is Turkish style and populer dessert. We don’t need semolina flour just semolina and other ingredients are esay to find in stores. Video is available on youtube if you want to see how to prepare this easy dessert. All details below.
- For the measurement cups which i use please look at “measurements” .
- I use 18cm x 18 cm square pan.
- I decorate with whipping cream without sugar. If you want you can add powdered sugar to whipping cream for more sweetness.
- If amount of poppy seeds a lot for you, decrease half of it.
- Ground coconut gives a nice texture and aroma but if you don’t like it, discard all.
- 110 gr flour (Increase 3 tbsp from 1 cup flour)
- 90 gr semolina (9 tbsp)
- 16 gr ground coconut (4 tbsp)
- 20 gr poppy seeds (2 tbsp)
- 10 gr baking powder
- 4 Large eggs
- 85 gr granulated sugar (Increase 1 tbsp form half cup)
- 45 ml vegetable oil (3 tbsp)
- Half lemon zest
- 500 ml water (2 cups + 2 tbsp)
- 450 gr granulated sugar (2 cups + 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
- Pre-heat your oven at 180º C. Grease your pan with oil spray or brush with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients (Flour, semolina,ground coconut,poppy seeds and baking soda) in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs and granulated sugar until double sized.
- Add vegetable oil and lemon zest. Whisk slowly.
- Add dry ingredients and fold with a spatula until homogenized.
- Pour over into the cake pan and bake until golden brown on top. About 25-30 minutes.
- Take off and let it cool in a wire rack.
- Prepare the syrup when cake is getting warm, Because we will assemble them when syrup is hot and cake is warm.
- Boil the water, sugar and lemon juice on medium heat and reduce the heat when boiled. Let it boil about 3-5 minutes.
- Slice the cake in the pan and pour over the syrup with a small ladle under control. Let the cake absorbe syrup and add again and again.
- Maybe your cake doesn’t need all the syrup it depends on how much your cake rised or baked.
- After absorbing syrup, press on top of cake with your finger see if syrup comes into the surface it is enough to add syrup. No need more.
- Let it cool for a few minutes at room temperature than cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight.
- Resting overnigh is the best but if you want to serve same day it has to wait about 4 hours to absorbe syrup.
- Before serving whip the cream and powdered sugar until thick and decorate the cake with it. Pour all off cream and flatten the top or pipe it.